As part of #CookLikeAChilypepper Lucy, a member of our STAMP group, shows us how to make her scrumptious home made breadcakes! You can follow her recipe at 4pm on Facebook/ Instagram or check out the full recipe here…
500g strong white bread flour, 40g caster sugar, 40g Butter (softened), 7g of one sachet of yeast, 7g salt (about one tsp), 320ml cold water
1. To a large bowl add your flour and make a well in the middle, to one side of the bowl add the sugar and the salt, to the other side add the yeast. In the well add the softened butter and 3/4’s of the water.
2. Start mixing the ingredients with your fingers and gradually add more water until it you have picked up all the flour, you may not need all the water or you may need more then the recipe says – it depends on your flour. Your dough needs to be soft but not soggy.
3. Tip the contents of the bowl onto a lightly oiled surface and knead it for 5-10 minutes, to start with your dough will be wet and sticky but as you knead it will become smooth and silky. (Don’t worry, as you knead your hands will become less dough-y)
4. Roll your dough into a ball, place it in a clean bowl and put a clean damp tea towel over the top (ring all the water out). Put the bowl in a warm place to prove for one hour or until doubled in size.
5. Line two baking trays with grease proof paper and the lightly flour the surface you’ll be working on. Take the dough and lightly knead to knock all the air out. split the dough into 12, 70g portions, roll them all into balls and place them on the baking trays so there are 6 on each. Lightly oil some cling film and cover the dough. Leave in a warm place to sit for 30 minutes.
6. While the dough it sitting, preheat oven to gas mark 7/220 degrees C
7. Uncover the first tray of dough and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until risen and golden brown, when baked repeat with the second tray. Place your bread cakes on a cooling rack and then enjoy however you please!